BMW Motorrad and Alpinestars have teamed up to create the BMW Motorrad Street Air Dry, an advanced airbag system offering comprehensive upper body protection and the freedom to ride a motorbike in both on- and off-road situations.
Alpinestars’ airbag system utilizes a sophisticated algorithm that detects imminent danger with the greatest precision and inflates the full upper body airbag to provide a highly effective crash protection system, ahead of the first impact.
The BMW Motorrad Street Air Dry by Alpinestars is a textile riding jacket designed to interconnect with the Alpinestars airbag system vest and is an essential component for the system to be fully operational.
It offers instantaneous inflatable upper body protection to the back, kidneys, chest and shoulders - the most exposed areas in a crash. It is also fully independent, incorporating its sensors close to the rider’s or passenger’s body, meaning the airbag activates without the need for a triggering wireless signal to be sent from the bike.
Key features of BMW Motorrad Street Air by Alpinestars:
- Full airbag inflation in 25 milliseconds for protection during crash impacts and loss-of-control situations when riding but also in stand-still situation – for example a rear impact while waiting at traffic lights.
- Function is independently of the need for sensors to be installed on the bike and the subsequent need to link a specific motorcycle to the airbag system.
- Immediately ready for use and no time is wasted in setting up electronic pairing between rider and/or passenger and motorcycle. Riders can easily switch between motorbikes without reconfiguring or reinitializing.
- Placing sensors near to the body means the airbag system can be used on road or for off-road adventure-touring.
- No need to deactivate the system if leaving the road for off-road trails or to stop in between to change settings. Changing surfaces while adventure-touring therefore presents no problem.
- System is protected by a durable and water-resistant casing which, when worn under a compatible outer jacket, means the airbag system is fully weatherproof.
The jacket will be available in a variety of colours for both male and female riders and passengers from October 2016.