BMW Motorrad has revealed the innovative HP4 RACE model - the first BMW motorcycle to feature a full carbon fibre frame and epitomises the brand's reputation for innovation, pioneering technology and class-leading performance.
The exclusive BMW motorcycle was revealed at the Auto Shanghai 2017 show in China.
The new BMW HP4 RACE is a purebred racing machine with industry leading technical solutions enabling BMW Motorrad to produce a main frame made entirely of carbon.
Weighing just 7.8 kilograms, the frame will form the basis for the 750 individually-crafted HP4 RACE bikes being produced. Both wheels are also made using the same high-tech carbon fibre laying technology and are 30 per cent lighter than those made of conventional materials.
Engine, electronics, brake and suspension technology put the HP4 RACE on the same level as current factory superbike racing machines. Weighing just 171 kilograms when fully-fuelled and track ready, the HP4 RACE is lighter than the current World Superbikes and in the same league as most MotoGP factory prototypes.
Developed purely for the race track, the HP4 RACE comes with a World Superbike spec engine, producing 215 hp. Such a high-spec engine demands only the best suspension and the HP4 RACE comes equipped with Öhlins FGR 300 upside-down forks and TTX 36 GP rear suspension – the same as used in both World Superbike and MotoGP racing series. Brembo GP4 PR monoblock brake calipers also come straight from the world stage and ensure optimal braking performance.
An extensive package of electronic controls are viewed and controlled through the 2D dash, with data logger included. Dynamic Traction Control, Engine Braking and Wheelie Control can be programmed for each gear, according to rider preference, enabling the enormous riding potential of the HP4 Race to be fully unlocked.
Highlights of the new BMW HP4 RACE:
- Carbon fibre main frame in monocoque construction weighing just 7.8 kilograms.
- Racing engine at world championship level with an output of 158 kW (215 hp) at 13,900 rpm and a maximum torque of 120 Nm at 10 000 rpm.
- Self-supporting carbon fibre rear frame with three-stage height adjustment function.
- Carbon fibre wheels offering a weight reduction of some 30 per cent as compared to light alloy forged wheels.
- Öhlins FGR 300 upside-down fork.
- Öhlins TTX 36 GP spring strut.
- Brembo GP4 PR monoblock brake calipers with 320 T-type racing steel brake disks (thickness: 6.75 mm) at the front.
- Close-ratio racing gearbox with adapted transmission ratios.
- Weight-optimised electrical system featuring light lithium-ion battery with 5 Ah.
- 2D dashboard and 2D data recording including logger.
- Dynamic Traction Control DTC (programmable for selected gears at 15 levels).
- Engine Brake EBR (programmable for selected gears at 15 levels).
- Wheelie Control (programmable for selected gears).
- Launch Control.
- Pit Lane Limiter.
- Light trim parts made of carbon fibre with snap fasteners.
- Paint finish in BMW HP Motorsport colours.
- Production run of 750 units, each individually crafted.
- UK price of £68,000 and available from September 2017.
- Bikes will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis and can be ordered at all BMW Motorrad Centres in the UK.